As a brand that’s committed to creating products that sustain nature+you, we’re so excited to add bamboo toothbrushes to our product lineup. Not only are bamboo toothbrushes the perfect complement to our natural toothpaste, they offer many benefits for your oral health....and the health of the planet.
Read along to discover these amazing benefits as well as some tips and tricks to properly dispose of your bamboo toothbrushes to ensure they decompose quickly and effectively!
bamboo toothbrush benefits for your oral health
It’s no secret that bamboo toothbrushes are better for the planet. But did you know that they also offer a bunch of benefits when it comes to your oral + overall health? Let’s take a look at a few.
- Bamboo is naturally antimicrobial. That’s why it’s a common material used for kitchen utensils and cutting boards. Unlike plastic, bamboo works naturally to kill bacteria that penetrate its surface.
- The handle is easy to grip. Bamboo toothbrushes tend to be easier to grip than plastic toothbrushes, as plastic gets very slick when wet. This makes it easier to get to those harder-to-reach spots of your mouth.
- The bristles are soft and effective. The bristles on bamboo toothbrushes are the same as their plastic counterparts, so you can rest assured that the bristles are just as soft and effective as conventional toothbrushes.
- Bamboo toothbrushes look great. As you can probably tell from the packaging of our natural toothpaste, we actually care about the aesthetic of your oral care products. They’re often the first thing you see in the morning, so we want the look to bring you a sense of calm and joy. The natural look of a bamboo toothbrush accomplishes this effortlessly.
The benefits don’t stop there. Let’s take a look at exactly how bamboo toothbrushes are better for the planet, too.
bamboo toothbrush benefits for the planet
A sustainable alternative to conventional toothbrushes, bamboo toothbrushes can help you on your journey to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Bamboo toothbrushes reduce landfill waste. It’s estimated that 1 billion plastic toothbrushes are thrown away every year in the US alone. That translates to 50 million pounds of landfill waste! Bamboo toothbrushes are a great way to combat this, as they are compostable and biodegradable! When disposed of properly (which we’ve outlined in the next section), it can take just a few months for a bamboo toothbrush to decompose and return to the earth.
- Bye-bye, BPA. Good news for you and the planet: using a bamboo toothbrush can help you reduce your exposure to BPA (bisphenol A), an industrial chemical that’s been linked to many health issues. A lot of conventional plastic toothbrushes still contain BPA, unless otherwise specified. With our bamboo toothbrush, you don’t have to worry about BPA at all. It won’t be a part of your oral care routine, and it won’t end up in your trash can once you’re ready to replace your toothbrush.
- Seeing your bamboo toothbrush can inspire more sustainable choices. Your toothbrush is often one of the first things you see in the morning....and one of the last things you see before bed. A sustainable toothbrush can serve as an important reminder to make sustainable choices all day long.
Now, let’s get into the specifics of disposing of your bamboo toothbrush in a way that’s good for the environment.
how to “throw away” your bamboo toothbrush
To ensure that you get the most out of your bamboo toothbrush, and it breaks down as quickly as possible when you’re finally done with it, we recommend following these steps.
- Consider upcycling your bamboo toothbrushes. You can use it as a tool to scrub tiny crevices in your bathroom or consider using the handles for something like garden markers/plant labels. But when your bamboo toothbrush finally reaches its end of life...
- Remove the bristles. We recommend using pliers to pull them out.
- Compost your bamboo toothbrush handles. The handle of your bamboo toothbrush is 100% biodegradable, but the time it takes to biodegrade will depend on your disposal method. Here’s a breakdown (pun intended).
- Commercial compost: In an industrial composter, your bamboo toothbrush will decompose in just a few weeks. This is much faster than an at-home composter because temperatures are much higher, and there are more microorganisms breaking down the compost. To get your toothbrush into an industrial composter, put it in your “yard waste” bin. Not sure if you have a yard waste bin or how to register for one? Check out this guide by earth911.
- At-home compost: If you have an at-home composter, you can dispose of it there, where it will take about 4-6 months to decompose.
- Plant it: You can actually plant your bamboo toothbrush horizontally in your garden soil where it will take roughly 3 years to decompose.
- Throw it in the garden: Don’t worry, your bamboo toothbrush will still decompose even If you simply throw it in your garden But it’ll take 5-10 years to fully break down.
We recommend checking to see what compost options and facilities are available in your area. If you don’t already compost at home, we hope your bamboo toothbrush inspires you to start!
As you may know, all of our products are created to sustain nature+you.
Our natural toothpaste was developed using intentional ingredients that promote your oral+holistic health and the well-being of the planet. Because all of our zero waste toothpaste ingredients are sourced and derived from nature, they do not harm the environment when they return through your sink’s drain. On top of that, we use recyclable and sustainable packaging to ensure we do not contribute to landfill waste. (Have you seen our aluminum toothpaste tubes?)
The bamboo toothbrush is a natural addition to our product assortment. It’s the perfect tool to pair with our natural toothpaste for a holistic oral care routine that sustains both nature+you.