Well, the toothpaste industry is finally catching on to the need for more sustainable options. All we can say is: it’s about time.
But with more zero waste toothpaste options than ever before, it can be hard to choose! These days, you’ve got toothpaste tablets + powdered toothpastes, homemade toothpaste recipes, and then there’s us, a (pretty awesome) natural toothpaste with a recyclable toothpaste tube and sustainable packaging.
How do you know which one is right for you and your family?
In honor of Earth Day (and to save you the pains of trial and error), we’re analyzing these zero waste toothpaste options, so you can find the perfect fit.
toothpaste tablets + powders
First up, we’ve got the newly popular toothpaste tablets (bits, bites, chews, and the like) and the not-as-popular toothpaste powders. These options are certainly sustainable, as many companies will send you refills in biodegradable pouches, so you never have to replace your container.
We love that aspect, but with these pros come a few undeniable cons. It goes without saying that toothpaste tablets and powders introduce a bit of a learning curve. As many people are transitioning away from conventional toothpastes, this can be tough. We don’t want you feeling discouraged or developing an aversion to zero waste toothpaste simply because tablets and powders are so different from your long-time paste.
On top of this, many first-time tablet users report that the taste and consistency of toothpaste bits aren’t that pleasant. Because of their small size and the inability of the ingredients to interact with each other (until your saliva mixes things up), tablets and powders tend to give off a much milder mint taste, leaving your mouth feeling not-so-clean or fresh. Many users also agree that once the tablets and powders begin to foam, the texture is very thick and sticky, making it hard to spit it out.
Lastly, it’s important to note that tablets and powders aren’t exactly kid-friendly. Tablets pose a choking hazard, while powders open the door to huge messes and a lot of wasted product.
We’d rather your children have a safer, cleaner brushing experience with a natural zero waste toothpaste like Davids.
Next up, we’ve got homemade toothpaste. There’s no denying that making your own toothpaste can save you money, reduce waste, and give you the power to control what ingredients make the cut.
But you know what they say: with great power comes great responsibility.
Seriously, formulating a zero waste toothpaste that’s natural, effective, and safe is no easy feat. Trust us, it took our founder four years to perfect our formula. If you’re going to take on the task of making your own sustainable toothpaste, we encourage you to spend ample time researching the safety, efficacy, and source of every single ingredient you put in your homemade toothpaste. After all, this toothpaste will be something that you use every single day for an extended period of time....you’ll want to be extra sure that it’s safe.
Let’s apply this advice to the topic of abrasive ingredients. There’s no hiding that we use very intentional abrasive ingredients in the Davids formula: calcium carbonate, hydrated silica, and baking soda. When sourced from high-quality places and used in safe quantities (which is the case for Davids), these abrasive ingredients can help “exfoliate” your teeth, breaking up plaque, dislodging harmful bacteria, polishing surface stains, and cleaning your teeth. At Davids, we know exactly where these ingredients come from, we’re familiar with the processing methods used to mill these ingredients, and we know our suppliers maintain the strictest purity standards for these ingredients.
To be specific, we use only the highest quality USA-made abrasives with ultra-fine microscopic particles. This ensures our toothpaste falls within the safe range of Relative Dentin Abrasion (RDA), confirming it’s safe for everyday use and will not damage your enamel over time. If you’re making your own sustainable toothpaste, you’ll want to confirm all of these things too. Here are a few questions to ask yourself.
- Does your ingredient recipe come from a reputable source (a dental professional)?
- Does the recipe tell you exactly how much of each ingredient to include and why?
- Are you sourcing said ingredients from trusted suppliers?
- What purity standards do your suppliers meet?
- If using abrasive ingredients, can you confirm your homemade toothpaste falls within a safe RDA?
On top of these considerations, you’ll also want to ensure you’re keeping your homemade toothpaste sanitary. Dipping your toothbrush into the toothpaste can contaminate the mixture, even if you’re not sharing it. Also be sure to check if the recipe you create requires refrigeration, as many homemade toothpastes have a shorter shelf life than commercially available toothpastes.
Does all of that advice give you a headache? No worries, we’ve got you covered. Like we said, our founder spent four years perfecting our zero waste toothpaste, so you can brush easy knowing you’re in good hands.
Davids natural zero waste toothpaste
Why choose Davids as your zero waste toothpaste?
- We use high-quality, sustainably-sourced ingredients. Not to mention, 98% of our ingredients originate in the USA, so our carbon footprint is drastically reduced as a result of not having to import ingredients. You can read more about our ingredient list here.
- Our formula is well-researched, tested, and loved. Just ask the thousands of people who have already made the switch to Davids! It leaves your mouth with an unmatched invigorating freshness, and our carefully-formulated recipe has proven effective in reducing bacteria and strengthening enamel. Just check out the lab results for Davids sensitive + whitening nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste! They speak for themselves.
- It’s easy to use, and it protects the health of your teeth (and the planet) in the long run. With our sustainable toothpaste, there’s no learning curve. It’s a gooey paste just like conventional toothpaste, but it’s better for your holistic health....and the health of the planet. After all, Mother Earth would much rather you be spitting clean, natural ingredients down the sink instead of harsh chemicals.
- Our sustainable toothpaste packaging is gentle on the planet. Unlike the 1 billion plastic toothpaste tubes that end up in landfills every year, our recyclable toothpaste tube is made from aluminum, the most infinitely recyclable material out there. Our cardboard packaging is FSC certified, and you can opt out of receiving a plastic cap to make your Davids package completely plastic-free.
- It’s great for the entire family. With Davids, you don’t have to worry about choking hazards, nor do you have to think about creating the perfect homemade formula. Our zero waste toothpaste is safe for children of all ages. In fact, our nano-hydroxyapatite formula is most effective when it’s introduced at a young age.
In celebration of Earth Day, why not give our sustainable toothpaste a try? It might just prove to be the easiest, most effective zero waste toothpaste option out there.
happy earth day!
From our small family-owned and operated business, we wish you a Happy Earth Day! As always, we’re honored to provide you with a safe zero waste toothpaste that you can share with your entire family. We’re extremely grateful for your continued support and your unwavering passion to do better for your health....and the health of this incredible planet.