Do you ever feel like your brushing, flossing, and tongue-scraping routine isn’t quite enough? We know how it feels to crave the cleanest, freshest mouth you can possibly achieve. You don’t want to be left with any lingering roughness, smelliness, or general “not quite clean enough” feeling after your oral care routine.
So you decide you’re going to add mouthwash into the mix.
When you commit to adding another product to your daily routine, it can feel daunting! You’re immediately overwhelmed with questions in your head. Does mouthwash work? Does it do more harm than good? Wait, doesn’t it burn? That can’t be good, can it?
We completely understand and want to give you the tools and knowledge to feel 100% confident in your oral care routine. Part of that confidence involves knowing that your oral care routine is good for your entire body, and we’re committed to providing you with natural products that fit the bill. And you guessed it, natural mouthwash might very well be in our future.
In celebration of this exciting addition, let’s discuss the nitty-gritty of mouthwash: how it works, the potential benefits, the harms that can come with conventional mouthwash products, and all the reasons natural mouthwash wipes out the competition.
does mouthwash work?
There’s no simple answer to this question, but if we had to pick one answer, it would be: yes, mouthwash works....but you have to keep a few things in mind.
- Mouthwash cannot work alone. It will not get you very far if you’re not flossing daily, brushing twice daily with effective toothpaste (hello, Davids hydroxyapatite toothpaste), tongue scraping, and following a mouth-friendly diet. These things can work together with mouthwash to reduce bacteria and plaque to reduce your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health complications.
- It really matters which mouthwash you choose. We’ll be the first to tell you that the conventional “kills 99.9% of germs” mouthwash is not the same as a holistic natural mouthwash formulated with gentle, fortifying ingredients. We’ll cover this more in the following section.
- It’s critical to keep up with your dental visits. When was the last time you went to the dentist? If enough plaque has built up in your mouth between visits, it’s likely hardened into tartar. If that’s the case, you’ll want to visit your dentist for a routine checkup and deep cleaning. Otherwise, your daily efforts to clean your teeth will always leave you feeling like you’re not doing enough.
Now that we’ve covered those caveats, how does mouthwash work? Well, as a liquid, mouthwash can reach corners of your mouth that brushing and flossing can’t always reach. By swishing with mouthwash, you can deliver antibacterial and antiseptic ingredients to hard-to-reach parts of your mouth, while also providing your teeth with an extra coating/dose of remineralizing ingredients (such as hydroxyapatite). As a result, mouthwash can reveal a healthier, stronger, and whiter smile! That being said, certain aspects of conventional mouthwash aren’t so sparkly, so let’s dive into those.
the not-so-clean sides of conventional mouthwash
Many conventional mouthwash products have the goal of completely wiping out the bacteria (and other organisms) in your mouth. This sounds tempting, but the truth is that our mouths need some of these organisms to thrive. After all, there is such a thing as good bacteria.
To accomplish this, many of these products contain alcohol and other harsh chemicals that can actually do some damage to your delicate oral microbiome.
- alcohol: found in most conventional mouthwash products, alcohol can cause that burning, stinging, dry mouth sensation after a few uses.
- chlorine dioxide: many companies will add this antibacterial bleaching agent to their formulas, although the CDC has classified it as a hazardous ingredient.
- poloxamer 407: this synthetic detergent is known to alter blood flow in animal tests, but we don’t actually know how it affects human health (which, to us, is a good enough reason to keep it out of mouthwash).
- dyes: you’ve probably seen that most mouthwash products on the shelf are a pretty blue, green, or purple color....thanks to chemical dyes. These dyes can be harmful to your overall health and could actually stain your teeth in the long run.
- artificial flavors: these unnatural flavors, such as benzoic acid, may not be safe to ingest or use in high concentrations....both of which are concerning when it comes to highly concentrated mouthwash you might use every single day.
When it comes to chemical mouthwash products, we feel that the risks outweigh the rewards. That’s why we’ve been on a mission to discover (and share) a natural mouthwash alternative that can provide all the amazing potential benefits of mouthwash....without the dirty downsides. Let’s talk about it!
the wonders of natural mouthwash
Natural mouthwash contains all of the benefits listed above, while it avoids the not-so-clean aspects of conventional mouthwash. The goal of natural mouthwash is to nurture your oral microbiome without compromising your overall health....a holistic approach we can get behind!
Natural mouthwash is:
- free of harmful ingredients: not only is natural mouthwash flavored with delicious pure essential oils, it’s also formulated with safe, natural, and effective ingredients. In other words, it does not include the alcohol, dyes, detergents, and bleaches you might find in conventional mouthwash. It’s also free of SLS and fluoride, two ingredients that have been under close watch recently....and for good reason.
- balancing for your oral microbiome: natural mouthwash takes a root cause approach! Instead of completely wiping out all of the organisms in your mouth, it works to balance the bacteria in your mouth to restore your mouth to a healthy pH and improve bad breath, gum discomfort, plaque, and more in the process.
- fortified with hydroxyapatite and xylitol: we mentioned that natural mouthwash typically avoids fluoride. In place of this questionable ingredient, many natural mouthwash products are fortified with hydroxyapatite. This remineralizing ingredient, which already makes up most of your teeth and bones, works to repair your enamel, strengthen it from the inside out, and reduce sensitivity and tooth decay in the process. Much like our nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste, natural mouthwash often contains both hydroxyapatite and xylitol, which work together as a remineralizing and whitening dream team.
- naturally whitening: with natural mouthwash, you don’t have to sacrifice the long-term health of your mouth to achieve a bright white smile. By reducing bacteria and plaque while remineralizing your enamel from the inside out, natural mouthwash has the potential to reveal your whitest, most radiant smile.
With natural mouthwash, there’s no more burning, stinging, or itching required to reap all of the amazing rewards of mouthwash. Can you tell we’re excited about it? There’s a reason for that, and all we can say for now is....stay tuned for a new Davids product launch! In the meantime, we encourage you to stock up on your favorite natural oral care products to ensure your routine is top-notch.