First things first, let’s reminisce about grade-school biology. Remember photosynthesis? Green plants are pretty awesome….they have the ability to make their own “food” through photosynthesis. The green pigment in the plants, chlorophyll, absorbs sunlight and stores it as energy. This energy, along with some carbon dioxide and water, helps the plants create glucose and absorb nutrients.
Talk about self care!
This process is both impressive and beneficial, so there’s no surprise that eating dark, leafy greens is so good for you. The problem is...not everyone loves eating greens all the time. That’s exactly why we, as humans, are always looking for new ways to consume concentrated sources of greens (green supplements), and liquid chlorophyll is one of the hottest ones on the market right now.
With the rumored ability to boost your health with concentrated antioxidants, liquid chlorophyll (like many other things) has gone viral on TikTok. And while you might be wondering what in the world this has to do with Davids Natural Toothpaste, the answer is….
A lot, because it can stain your teeth green.
liquid chlorophyll benefits
Liquid chlorophyll contains vibrant green droplets of chlorophyllin, a water-soluble form of regular chlorophyll. Chlorophyllin is fortified with copper and sodium, minerals that make it easier for your body to absorb the good stuff. The idea is to put these droplets in a glass of water and drink it every day to soak up all the benefits of chlorophyll, some of which include:
- It has anti-inflammatory capabilities, allowing it to soothe and heal wounds (or other skin conditions) when ingested or applied directly to your skin.
- It has antioxidant abilities, protecting your cells against free radicals (molecules produced when your body is exposed to harmful things like UV rays and tobacco smoke). This can slow the signs of aging in your skin.
- It has antibacterial properties, giving it the potential to improve your skin health and fight disease. A lot of liquid chlorophyll’s fame on TikTok comes from its potential to treat acne.
- It can soothe digestion, constipation, and GI cramping. While it fights bad bacteria, chlorophyll can also promote the production of “good bacteria,” improving gut health and digestion. Scientists and consumers are investigating its potential to aid weight loss, too.
- It can act as an “internal” deodorant. Studies have shown that chlorophyll supplements can be effective in reducing body odor.
- It promotes the production of red blood cells. Chemically, chlorophyll is similar to hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that circulates oxygen in your body. (This can be helpful for people with hemoglobin deficiencies like anemia.)
- It’s been known to boost energy. Many users report increased energy levels after adding liquid chlorophyll to their daily routine. This could be a result of a combination of the benefits listed above.
It’s important to note: there are very few studies (specifically human studies) that actually prove these liquid chlorophyll benefits. On top of that, drinking too much liquid chlorophyll can lead to conditions like diarrhea and photosensitivity, so most doctors agree that it’s better to get your dose of chlorophyll through a green, nutritious diet. On that note, we also recommend taking TikTok advice with a grain of salt and checking with your doctor before diving into new supplements.
But at the end of the day, this chlorophyll water TikTok trend gets more people (specifically, teens and twenty-something-year-olds) borderline obsessed with hydration, greens, and gut health...and we’re on board with that!
does chlorophyll stain teeth?
Now that you know more about liquid chlorophyll and all its glory, you probably understand why so many TikTok users are rushing to buy it. As a result, there’s no shortage of documented experiences. You can find a lot of “I drank chlorophyll water for 7 days” reports, many of which include how bad it tastes, some slight improvements in energy and skin condition...and, of course, green-stained teeth.
But don’t worry, green stains from liquid chlorophyll are “extrinsic” (surface) stains that can be easily removed with whitening toothpastes with mild abrasives. Lucky for you, we know the best natural toothpaste for the job.
how can Davids help remove chlorophyll surface stains?
If you decide you want to see the liquid chlorophyll benefits yourself, we recommend having some Davids Natural Toothpaste on deck. Davids is formulated with ingredients sourced and derived from nature...and aimed at safely+effectively fighting plaque, freshening your breath, removing surface stains, and whitening your teeth. To highlight a few of these ingredients:
- Calcium carbonate is a mild abrasive that helps to break up plaque, remove surface stains, and whiten and polish your teeth.
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) neutralizes plaque-forming acids in your mouth. It also works to remove surface stains to further brighten your teeth.
- Hydrated silica is another mild abrasive that works to remove stains and whiten+polish your teeth. You can think of it as a gentle teeth exfoliator. At Davids, we use only the highest quality, USA-made hydrated silica with ultra-fine particles...designed to safely clean+polish your enamel...without damaging it.
Together, these ingredients can fight the green stains that come from drinking liquid chlorophyll, so you can continue to see the benefits of this TikTok craze without harming your pearly whites.