Are you making your own vegan toothpaste?
If the answer is yes, we admire your effort. We support anyone who’s looking to reduce their waste, minimize their shipping emissions, get more bang for their buck, and avoid any harmful ingredients that come in conventional toothpaste.
Why do we get excited about these things? Because these are some of our driving values at Davids too!
Our founder, Eric, spent four years consulting dental expects to develop the perfect vegan toothpaste formulas....ones that truly nurture your oral + overall health with natural, effective, intentional ingredients. Our formulas are made from 98% premium domestically sourced ingredients, packaged in sustainable, recyclable packaging (have you seen our aluminum toothpaste tubes?), and avoid potentially harmful conventional ingredients such as SLS, triclosan, chemical numbing agents, hydrogen peroxide, and so many more.
To hear that you’re creating your own DIY vegan toothpaste hits home for us. While we admire the effort, we’re here to tell you that there’s an easier, more effective way to care for your pearly whites.
The secret? Davids Natural Toothpaste. Let’s take a look at why it outperforms homemade vegan toothpaste formulas.
what’s usually in DIY vegan toothpaste?
Most DIY vegan toothpaste recipes contain some variation of the following ingredients.
- coconut oil: coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial, so it’s a popular “base” ingredient in DIY vegan toothpaste.
- olive oil: known for its antibacterial and antioxidant properties, olive oil is often added to DIY toothpaste. Because of its viscous nature, some believe it can bind to plaque, remove it, lift surface stains, and neutralize your mouth.
- In many cases, coconut and olive oils are used to oil pull, a process that involves holding oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes and swishing it around so that the oil can “pull out” any toxins. If you wish to add oil to your oral care routine, we recommend oil pulling rather than creating a toothpaste centered around oil.
- bentonite clay: instead of oils, some like to use food-grade bentonite clay to achieve that pasty texture in their DIY vegan toothpaste. Clay has been used for centuries as a detox tool, and it’s known to impart benefits such as oral health improvements, digestive soothing, and allergy relief.
- baking soda: this ingredient (which is also found in Davids) is known in the oral care world for its ability to neutralize plaque-forming acids in your mouth, remove surface stains, and whiten + polish teeth.
- essential oils: common essential oils are peppermint and cinnamon to give the DIY toothpaste a hint of flavor and add antibacterial and antioxidant benefits. At Davids, our formulas contain premium essential oils such as peppermint, spearmint, and wintergreen grown in the USA.
While there’s nothing wrong with these ingredients, we believe that it’s more reliable and effective to combine some of these ingredients with other high-quality oral care ingredients....in a formula that’s been created by the experts. Hint hint, Davids Natural Toothpaste fits that description.
is homemade vegan toothpaste safe?
Most experts agree that homemade toothpaste, in general, is not the best option for your long-term oral health. Not all natural, immediately-available ingredients are safe. Finding the perfect ingredient lineup and concentration takes a lot of time, experience, and effort. The truth is, many of the DIY toothpaste recipes out there are made by people who have no experience or credentials in regard to oral care.
We recommend that you play it safe with a commercial vegan toothpaste that has already done all of the expert consultation, research, and formulation for you....like Davids!
why Davids is the best vegan toothpaste
Think back to the driving factors for creating your own DIY vegan toothpaste....the ones we covered in the introduction of this article: less waste, a smaller shipping footprint, and trusted ingredients.
Davids checks all of these boxes! Not to mention, we’ve done all of the researching, formulating, perfecting, and mixing for you.
- sustainable packaging: our vegan toothpaste is packaged in infinitely recyclable aluminum toothpaste tubes and FSC-certified paperboard packaging. We also give you the option to remove the plastic cap, metal tube roller, and outside paper box if you want to further minimize waste. Just add ***REMOVE CAP*** ***REMOVE TUBE KEY*** ***REMOVE BOX*** in the “Address 2” line at checkout.
- domestic sourcing: unlike many (if not all) toothpaste brands out there, we use 98% USA-origin ingredients. Not only does this ensure premium quality and support domestic jobs, but it also means that our shipping footprint is way smaller than most toothpaste brands. When you order from us, you can feel proud knowing your purchase is better for the planet.
- cost efficiency: while the price tag of our vegan toothpaste might not scream cost efficiency up front, we assure you that a little bit of Davids goes a long way. Our formulas were created to pack a punch of benefits in a small, pea-sized squeeze of toothpaste. That means an entire tube of Davids can last you a long time. Plus, if you subscribe (at whatever delivery pace you want), you can save 10% on every single order.
- intentional ingredients: take a look at our ingredient list, which contains no animal by products. This list has a lot more than your average DIY vegan toothpaste: hydrated silica for whitening + polishing, xylitol for bacteria reduction and saliva production, calcium carbonate for plaque breakdown, and even hydroxyapatite for revolutionary enamel remineralization.
Not to mention, our formulas contain the perfect concentration of each ingredient. When you use Davids every day, you have peace of mind knowing that your vegan toothpaste is effectively nurturing your oral (and overall) health. You just can’t get this from a simple “how to make toothpaste” search!