At last, you’ve been exposed to the hype of hydroxyapatite.
We’re so glad you’re considering adding this natural remineralizing agent to your oral care routine! It’s no secret that fluoride has been the “gold standard” in oral care for so long. With a few questionable effects, we think it’s about time it had a little friendly competition.
To make your transition to hydroxyapatite toothpaste a little less intimidating, we’re covering some of the history, benefits, and awesome facts about this hero ingredient and its ability to enhance your holistic oral care routine.
hydroxyapatite has an out-of-this-world history
In the early 1900s, tooth decay was on the rise, and dental professionals were scrambling to find a way to slow it down. Around 1950, local governments began adding fluoride to their drinking water, and this seemed to be the magic answer everyone was looking for.
At the time, an immediate answer was necessary, but there simply wasn’t enough evidence to capture the full picture: although fluoride is effective at preventing tooth decay, what other long-term effects might it have? Could there be another, safer + more natural alternative?
Just a couple of decades later, NASA began to experiment with hydroxyapatite. They would give it to astronauts returning from microgravity environments to help them rebuild strength in their teeth and bones.
We’re delighted to say....it worked!
At this point, fluoride was famous. But as NASA revealed, hydroxyapatite deserved some fame too. Although we might be a few decades late, we’re finally giving hydroxyapatite the love and attention it deserves.
there are so many benefits of hydroxyapatite
Whether your main concern is tooth sensitivity or a bright white smile (or both), hydroxyapatite has you covered. Let’s dive into some of the common benefits of hydroxyapatite.
- remineralization and tooth sensitivity relief: hydroxyapatite already makes up roughly 97% of your enamel! When your enamel gets worn down by bacteria and daily wear and tear, it can expose “tubules” in your teeth that lead to the center nerve. This can lead to super uncomfortable sensitivity (especially when you consume hot+cold items). But nano-hydroxyapatite (n-HA) particles can easily penetrate the enamel and “bind” to it, remineralizing the weakened areas to provide tooth sensitivity relief in as little as a few days. This is different from fluoride, which creates a new structure called fluorapatite instead of replacing the existing hydroxyapatite minerals.
- biocompatibility: unlike many other ingredients in oral care products (especially the “sensitive”: ones), hydroxyapatite is biocompatible. This means it works with the cells in your body without harming them. This is unique for sensitive toothpaste because many use fluoride as well as chemical numbing agents to get the job done. This is why these toothpastes have a poison control label on them! Not hydroxyapatite toothpaste....you never have to worry about (you or your little ones) swallowing too much of it.
- microbiome-friendly: research shows that hydroxyapatite toothpaste can effectively reduce the bad bacteria in your mouth without wiping out the good ones! This is super important because your oral and gut microbiomes rely on good bacteria to function optimally, and synthetic ingredients such as fluoride and chemical numbing agents can disrupt this bacterial balance.
- effective whitening: did you know that hydroxyapatite itself can whiten your teeth, even without help from other whitening agents? This is because it actually replenishes minerals, reverses stains, and delivers enamel repair at the source....revealing a naturally whiter, stronger, and healthier smile.
- pH balance: hydroxyapatite helps your teeth stay strong against acidic substances, preventing them from penetrating your enamel and causing tooth decay. This process helps your oral microbiome maintain a healthy pH, which is super important for avoiding bad breath, inflammation, gum disease, and other oral health problems.
As you can see, nano-hydroxyapatite works to nourish your oral health from so many different angles. And it does all of this naturally! When you begin using toothpaste with hydroxyapatite, you can expect tooth sensitivity relief in just a few days....without all the unwanted side effects of chemical-based sensitive toothpastes.
hydroxyapatite toothpaste is a biocompatible fluoride alternative
As we mentioned above, hydroxyapatite is a biocompatible remineralizing agent. Unlike fluoride, it already exists in your body. But is it actually as effective as fluoride?
Science says yes. There are so many studies out there that suggest nano-hydroxyapatite is just as effective (if not more effective) than fluoride at remineralizing and strengthening your teeth.
This is super important because fluoride has been the oral care superstar for decades. In fact, the ADA will only put its stamp of approval on toothpastes that contain fluoride.
You can read more about this in our previous article, hydroxyapatite vs. fluoride: how does it compare to the oral care superstar?, where we cover differences between these two ingredients and some of the overwhelming research that supports hydroxyapatite.
To summarize, there are some valid concerns regarding the amount of fluoride we, as humans, consume. From our drinking water to our toothpaste, many run the risk of overexposure from simple day-to-day activities. Recent research shows that hydroxyapatite is just as effective as fluoride, and it doesn’t pose the risk of overexposure or unwanted side effects.
This proves that, while it currently lives in the shadows of fluoride, nano-hydroxyapatite has a very bright future.
Davids hydroxyapatite toothpaste outperforms the rest
Just like conventional toothpastes, it’s safe to say that not all hydroxyapatite toothpaste is made equal. The unique formula of Davids sensitive+whitening nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste has been shown to outperform other leading sensitive toothpastes.
Don’t take our word for it, check out our third-party lab test results!
As you can see, this photo evidence shows our nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste plugged the exposed tubules and repaired the damaged enamel better than its competitors. The results reveal stronger, healthier, and less sensitive teeth.
Now that’s something to smile about!